Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Dawning of a new me






As a mother my family is my number one priority. Last year I was on the cusp of turning 40. I was very happy with my children, my marriage, and feeling blessed and thankful that I had them in my life. I was continuously striving every day to provide for them a life where they could feel happy, safe, and confident in who they were. As happy as I was, I couldn't help but feel there was something missing. Something BIG!

In July 2014 the seasons were changing and steamy weather was upon us. I felt excited for the kids because they were in the midst of their summer break from school. I always dreaded summer because it meant many things that I did NOT look forward to. l would have less income from teaching and the hot weather meant the kids would want to go swimming and be outside all the time. I NEVER WORE SHORTS because my legs were nothing anyone would want to be exposed to and I was always hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. Wearing a bathing suit was even worse. I need not explain that one.

I had mixed feelings about the whole season. The kids were happy because they felt 'free.' Free from homework, had free time to do activities that during the school year they didn't have time for, and free to sleep-in and to be with friends and family more often. It was amazing to see them grow and explore outside and I always felt happy FOR them.
My beautiful family; June 2014


I spent my summer worrying about paying bills, big white legs, and really feeling held back in life. I loved teaching (still do) and I enjoyed my career (still do), but clearly I was not at peace with the way my life was.

I was fed up! I needed to try to find some peace with who I was. I knew that gaining health was one thing that could make a difference, but I was afraid to fail again. I had tried to do workouts but could never finish a whole program.  I got results, but I quit. Three times in 10 years to be exact. I went to the gym, I lifted weights, I swam. I would lose a few pounds and then be right back where I started. Sound familiar? Why would this time be any different?  I remained optimistic that I could do it, but I really didn't know HOW. I had been carrying comfort weight for 10 years and let's face it, I was struggling to find time for myself because my kids were my priority.

As afraid as I was, I needed to try again. What were my kids thinking of me? What kind of role model would I be if I threw in the towel again?  I decided to commit myself to a new program, and this time I would succeed. I had to. A friend of my husbands offered to help me.  He was a Beachbody coach. I was VERY skeptical about working with him, but he was gaining health, he was being successful, and I had a thought: If he could do it, why can't I? What I didn't know was that my LIFE would change drastically. My weight changed, my priorities changed, and I am happier now than I ever thought I could be. Yes. This is real. This is me!
July 2014 on the left;  October 2014 on the right

How did I do this?  Beachbody programs with a Beachbody coach. I used world class home workouts, world class nutrition and meal plans, and had support, accountability and motivation every day. These were the key elements it took to succeed in not only changing my health, but changing my life for good.

I decided that I could not keep this information to myself, but rather I felt obligated to all of the people out there like me to share how I did this. If you knew something worked, wouldn't you share with someone who needed the help? Don't give up. You are worth it, and you can do this! If I can, why not you?





No comments:

Post a Comment